Yakima Valley student wines awarded at state competition
GRANDVIEW, Wash. - The Yakima Valley swept the 35th annual Washington State Wine Competition.
Yakima Valley College's (YVC) Vineyard and Winery Technology Program hosted the event in June, which organizers said featured over 200 wine entries.
A selection from YVC's Teaching Winery, Yakima Valley Vintners, were among the wines featured.
The following student wine entries were awarded medals.
- 2015 Midterm Merlot (Gold Medal)
- 2017 History Class Pinot Gris (Gold Medal)
- 2015 Dean’s List Primitivo (Gold Medal)
- 2017 Study Skills Chardonnay (Silver Medal)
- 2015 Semester Abroad Sangiovese (Silver Medal)
- 2015 Campus Blend Red Wine (Bronze Medal)
- 2015 Graduates Last Hyrah Syrah (Bronze Medal)
In total, organizers said Yakima Valley Vintners have earned 115 awards for their wines throughout this competition.
Proceeds from the judging go towards scholarships for Vineyard and Winery Technology students at YVC. Event leaders said the competition was a unique opportunity for students to see firsthand professional wine judging.
A complete list of results can be found at the Great Northwest Wine website.