Shooting suspect seriously injured when Yakima police return fire

Yakima shooting suspect seriously injured when police return fire

YAKIMA, Wash. - Police have shot a Yakima man after he shot at officers who were looking for a wanted man.

An officer with the Yakima Police Department (YPD) responded to a call of a wanted person who was previously involved in a shooting.

The officer went to the 800 block of South 4th Avenue around 6:20 p.m., Tuesday to find a suspect, later identified as 30-year-old Gabriel Zavala, who immediately began shooting at the officer.

The officer began shooting back and Zavala got into his car and fled the scene. Reports said the suspect drove into a patrol vehicle that was blocking his way.

Zavala then drove by another responding officer just seconds later and proceeded to shoot at the officer from inside the vehicle. The second officer shot back but Zavala drove away.

Neither officer was injured in the shooting, according to YPD reports.

Investigators learned the suspect was barricaded in an outbuilding at the 1300 block of S 12th Avenue later that night while investigating the incident as well as a shooting that occurred over the weekend.

Yakima SWAT was called to the area to investigate around 11 p.m. as Zavala was armed inside the building.

Law enforcement asked him to surrender over the course of several hours.

Reports said Zavala finally emerged with a gun when responders used chemical irritant. Police shot at the armed suspect.

Medics rushed him to an area hospital and later airlifted him to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle. His condition is unknown at this time.

Two YPD SWAT officers were placed on paid administrative leave as a standard procedure while law enforcement investigate this case.

Washington State Patrol is investigating police involvement in this shooting. Reports indicate this incident is the third officer-involved shooting in Yakima in the span of two days.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off