Two people at Camp Hope nearly die from overdose, worker saves lives

Two people at Camp Hope nearly die from overdose, worker saves lives

YAKIMA, Wash.- "I think I was just at the right place at the right time," said Camp Hope Employee Juan Jesus Rangel Jr.

Rangel was on duty at Camp Hope and made his rounds like any other day, but last Sunday he did something he never thought he would have to do. He was alerted of two people who had overdosed.

"When I came through, she was head down on the bench here," said Rangel.

Rangel noticed one women's face had turned dark purple, and was unresponsive.

"Shortly after that, she was gasping for air and couldn't really breath. So that's when I started decompression's," said Rangel.

20 minutes goes by, and Rangel says it felt like a lifetime. Soon after the ambulance arrived and took over.

Many who live at Camp Hope say if Rangel didn't step in, that woman may not have been alive today.

Rangel says there were about ten people there doing all that they can to help, but he was the only person there that knew how to perform CPR.

That night prompted dozens who live at Camp Hope to take a CPR class so that they could do more in those types of situations.

"If anything happens like this next time, I would know how to react. Or how to start the compression's to save somebody life again," said Alysa Belew.

Camp Hope employees say this is the first time that people who live at a homeless shelter can get CPR certified for free.

A private donor is paying for everyone Camp Hope to be trained, CPR certified, and taught how to properly use an automated external defibrillator.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off