Safety tips from Yakima Valley Emergency Management
WASHINGTON- Yakima Valley Emergency Management wants you to have some winter heating safety tips.
On a post YVEM posted to their facebook page Sunday here are some reminders for winter heating:
- Do not turn on stove burners or the oven for heat; this poses a fire hazard and can cause carbon monoxide poisoning
- Portable space heaters are a good choice to provide more heat
- Make sure your space heater has an automatic shut-off switch and a non-glowing element
- Never place a space heater on top of furniture or near water
- Also keep it at least three feet away from furniture and drapes
- Never leave children unattended near a space heater.