Fire claims Wapato home; family escapes with one-year-old

Fire claims Wapato home; family escapes with one-year-old

WAPATO, Wash. -- "They lost everything," said Felicia Adam.

Adam tells Action News the fire that completely destroyed her mom’s home was unforgiving.

"It was here for 28 years, and all our family grew up here, and my siblings – 11 of us. It's just hard right now," said Adam.

Yakima County Fire District 5 says the fire broke out around 7 P.M. on Saturday.

Firefighters say when they arrived to the home on Kays Road, flames had swallowed it.

"The homeowners said lights flashed on and off. Then, they started hearing popping and cracking. They went into the bathroom in the rear of the residence and found fire," said Lieutenant Mike Farmer.

Farmer says about seven people lived at the home, including kids whose ages ranged from 1-year-old to 18-years-old.

But, the night of the fire, Adam says her three kids were also over at the home for a sleepover.

Luckily, she lives nearby and was able to make sure everyone escaped with their lives.

She says it was one of the scariest moments of her life.

"Is everyone OK? My sisters, my nieces, my nephew, my kids. I was in panic mode and didn’t know what to do, and just ran down here and tried to help as best we can," said Adam.

Firefighters say they believe an electrical issue in the attic, near the bathroom, is to blame for the $100,000 in damage to the family home.

If you'd like to help out the family, they say they're in need of things like diapers and clothing.

You can drop off donations at 2 Marty South Lane in Wapato.

The family is also in the process of setting up a Facebook fundraiser for donations.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off