Local stores issue voluntary recall for beef linked to salmonella outbreak
UPDATE: This story has been corrected to show that the beef was voluntarily recalled by the three stores listed in the story below. No contaminated meat was found at the stores, but they underwent a voluntary recall of the product.
Three more Seattle-area stores have voluntarily recalled ground beef that could linked to a nationwide salmonella outbreak, and state health officials are urging local residents to check their freezers to make sure they don't consume any of the contaminated meat.
Over 6.5 million pounds of certain raw, non-intact beef products from JBS Tolleson, Inc. were voluntarily recalled Thursday due to possible salmonella contamination.
Goodies Mediterranean Market & Produce in Seattle, Oskoo Persian & Mediterranean Market in Bellevue and Sprouts Farmers Market in Mill Creek were among retailers across the country who voluntarily recalled certain ground beef products from JBS.
Sprouts Farmers Market tells KOMO News the company has received no reports of illness from its location Mill Creek and posts all voluntary recall information for its guests on its website.
Health officials confirmed associated products were immediately removed from shelves last week and products not related to the recall are safe for consumption, a spokesperson for Sprouts Farmer's Market said.
Jay Hosn, owner of Goodies Mediterranean Market & Produce, tells KOMO News his store has not purchased ground beef from JBS Tolleson, Inc.
The beef products, including ground beef, were packaged between July 26, 2018 and September 7, 2018.
The USDA says the products recalled bear establishment number “EST. 267” inside the USDA mark of inspection. Products were sold at stores nationwide.
As of last week, investigators had identified 57 people infected from 16 states, with illness onset dates ranging from August 5 to September 6. Fourteen people have been hospitalized, but no deaths have been reported.
Health experts say consumption of food contaminated with salmonella can cause salmonellosis, one of the most common bacterial foodborne illnesses. Symptoms include diarrhea, abdominal cramps, and fever within 12 to 72 hours after eating the contaminated product. Most people recover without treatment after four to seven days, but hospitalization could happen to those with weakened immune systems.
The USDA's Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) advises all consumers to safely prepare their raw meat products, including fresh and frozen, and only consume ground beef that has been cooked to a temperature of 160°F.
More details about the recall can be found online here. Consumers with food safety questions can "Ask Karen," the FSIS virtual representative available 24 hours a day at AskKaren.gov.