Still no charges against man who shot and killed his pregnant wife

TERRACE HEIGHTS, Wash. -- Answers to a deadly shooting almost a year ago are still hard to come by. It's the case of Cory Lindblom. He shot and killed his pregnant wife at their home in Terrace Heights.

Lindblom told investigators he mistook her for an intruder. Now, it's hard to follow up with him because he left town.

No charges have ever been brought against Cory Lindblom in the shooting death of his pregnant wife, McKaylee Higgs. It's been a slow process that investigators don't expect to get much faster. Detectives are still trying to find out exactly what happened that night in March.

"What actually was going through his mind completely and totally when he pulled the trigger?" YSO Chief Robert Udell asked.

It's a question that might never be answered. Cory Lindblom told investigators he shot his wife because he thought she was an intruder. It's a claim detectives are still trying to verify.

"How do you definitely prove his state of mind, what it was like inside that house?" Udell said. "This is a real tough case."

There are a few reasons investigators haven't determined if Lindblom really knew where he was shooting. One is the backlogged state crime lab hasn't gotten to forensic evidence from the case. Another is they haven't been able to talk to Lindblom face to face since he moved back to the East Coast. Detectives say they also need to speak with Lindblom's family and friends who are back east as well.

"In cases like this, it is, it's not unusual for them to move," Chief Udell said. "It may be a legitimate move. In any event, it does hurt our investigation."

Few details have been made public about what happened in their Terrace Heights home. Deputies say Lindblom fired more than two shots, but only one bullet hit his wife. It went into McKaylee Higgs' neck, ricocheted to her shoulder and damaged her spinal cord.

"Whenever a person pulls the trigger on a firearm, he had or she had better be sure of where that bullet's going to go," Udell said.

One detective continues to work the case while waiting on crime lab results and a plane ticket to catch up with Lindblom and the rest. Yakima County's lead prosecutor hasn't received any information from deputies on the case to even consider charges.

Investigators say answers could still take months, or even years.

I've written letters to Lindblom trying to get his side. I also tried to contact friends and family of both McKaylee Higgs and Lindblom. Phone calls and Facebook messages have not yet been returned.