Propane heater sparks Yakima basement fire

YAKIMA, Wash. -- Firefighters say a malfunctioning propane heater caused a fire early Wednesday morning in Yakima.

The fire started just before 5 a.m. in the basement of a house in the 500 block of South Naches Avenue. According to the Yakima Fire Department, a young woman sleeping in the basement woke up, smelled smoke and alerted the rest of her family. The six residents all left the house safely before firefighters arrived.

Firefighters were able to contain the fire in about 15 minutes. They also rescued four dogs from the house.

Officials say the fire caused about $30,000 in damage.