Man says sparks hit gas tank; set garage & car on fire

YAKIMA, Wash. -- A Yakima man says sparks too close to a gas tank caused Thursday evening's fire that destroyed a garage and car.

It happened around 6 o'clock on Jefferson Avenue. The red hot flames destroyed everything they touched.

Thankfully no one was hurt.

The man who lives there said he was siphoning gas with an electric pump. Sparks hit the gas and the fire grew too quickly to control.

"I still feel the heat still on my chest. It was pretty hot. I was trying to grab the gas can to pull it away from the garage so it wouldn't catch on fire and it just got too hot. Way too hot," Kelly Balles said.

The homeowners say the garage had antiques and heirlooms in it.