Investigation of SWAT standoff, shooting in Selah completed

YAKIMA COUNTY, Wash. -- An investigation of the SWAT team standoff and shooting death of a man in Selah has wrapped up.

Detectives from the Washington State Patrol looked at the moments before Jesse Humphrey was killed by police.

On Friday, KIMA obtained 343 pages of documents covering the different officers' accounts. We're still reading through all the pages, but it appears Humphrey was high on meth and heavily armed. Negotiations for a peaceful surrender didn't get far.

We learned the negotiations were recorded and that Humphrey made two calls. Humphrey was on the phone with an officer and said he wanted to die because he could not do 300 months in jail as a sex offender.

The negotiator talked about how Humphrey varied between speaking softly and making threats to kill police.

Based on the negotiator's account, Humphrey didn't seem to see a way out of his situation. He was talking to himself and saying he was going nuts. Two minutes later, he yelled, "Here comes the gas." Then gunshots, and the call ended.

We also learned there were two snipers on the scene, and one of them shot Humphrey when he first left his RV. Humphrey kept moving after that until he was shot by eight officers as he lay on the ground. The report states he was not cooperating as SWAT made their final approach.

The report also detailed some of the evidence found in and around the motorhome where Humphrey was shot and killed.

Authorities found a total of five guns: three of them handguns, one rifle and one shotgun. There were also boxes of unused bullets. Officers recovered drugs they suspected were methamphetamine, marijuana and mushrooms.

This just scratches the surface of the material that's included in today's documents, and we expect several more documents in the weeks to come. KIMA will continue to bring you the details.

We also confirmed with Prosecuting Attorney Jim Hagarty that his office received the reports on Tuesday. Hagarty says the review will be extensive and doesn't expect to have a decision on whether the use of deadly force was justified until the end of June.

We have made several of these documents available online. The full investigative report is available here, the investigation log is here, and a full account from the lead negotiator who dealt with Humphrey is here.

Some information in these documents has been redacted.