Husband's 911 call revealed in Wapato teacher murder

YAKIMA COUNTY, Wash. -- Following the timeline continues to be key in the death of a Wapato Middle School teacher. Yakima County deputies said they have no suspects in Desiree Sunford's murder. KIMA dug through the dispatch report and found the sheriff's office wasn't called until hours after reports the alarm was tripped at the Sunford home.

Deputies are still trying to paint the picture of what led to the shooting of Desiree Sunford. Her husband said he was out of town when his wife was shot.

"Do you know how long he was in the Tri-Cities?" KIMA asked.
"I don't know that," said Yakima County Sheriff's Office Spokesperson, Stewart Graham.
"You don't know that? Do you know if he was there at all?" KIMA asked.
"I'm sure that's something that's part of the investigation that is currently ongoing," said Graham.

KIMA pulled the dispatch report from Sunday night. It covers the calls made by Desiree's husband to 911. The first was at 8:51 p.m. Scott Sunford told dispatcher he hadn't been able to get a hold of his wife. He was concerned because the alarm on their house had gone off at 3:30 that afternoon. Six minutes later, at 8:57 p.m., Sunford told dispatch a board over a broken window was gone. The home had recently been broken into through that window. A minute later, Scott Sunford called his mother-in-law. She hadn't heard from her daughter, either. Around 9:30 p.m., deputies arrived at the home on North Saint Hilaire Road. Desiree's body was found inside.

The timeline leading up to that discovery may be concerning especially since the alarm went off. KIMA asked why no deputy would have responded. Yakima County Sheriff's Office said the alarm company never contacted them. They only respond to certain instances.

"When we're notified of the alarm and when some information from other sources exists to verify the fact that in fact a crime is occurring," said Graham.

KIMA spoke with a couple alarm companies in Yakima. They said in most cases, deputies only show up if it's been verified help is needed at the home. And in this case, no one was able to make that call.

Alarm companies said deputies don't need to verify trouble before sending a crew for a medical call, panic alarm or fire.