MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Firefighters: Savoy Apartments fire unintentional

Firefighters: Savoy Apartments fire unintentional

YAKIMA, Wash. - Fire investigators have determined an apartment fire that left many without a home was not human-caused.

The Savoy Apartments in downtown Yakima caught fire Oct. 28, rendering the building unlivable and forcing all tenants out.

Detectives did not find any evidence that someone intentionally caused this fire, according to an update issued Dec. 14 from the Yakima Fire Department.

Reports said a man who was getting his haircut at a barber shop on the first floor of the building first reported the fire when he saw smoke coming from a top-floor window.

Firefighters said the man went to the top floor to let people inside know of the fire and helped people get out safely.

Firefighters put out the fire quickly to prevent flames from spreading, but heat damage, smoke damage and asbestos caused conditions to be deemed unlivable for people.

Trending