Duplex caught in a blaze

YAKIMA, Wash. -- A brush fire quickly spread to two apartment buildings forcing people out of their beds.

The fire started around 6:00am at 1717 Monroe Ave.

Four people were taken to the hospital. All have been released besides one who is in the ICU for smoke inhalation.

A neighbor was in a state of panic as her property butted up against the blaze.

"It was scary. The first thing that came to my mind is I got to get my kids out so that they could be saved. That is the first thing that cam into my mind", said Esther Mendoza.

The apartment has completed been destroyed by flames.

Tenants said they plan to stay with family. Salvation Army is also helping provide for these people who just lost everything.

The cause of the fire has yet to be determined.